Friday, April 27, 2007

 
The Best Pie I Ever Made

I was reading the hi monkey site again, and nearly fell out my chair reading how to make a grilled cheese using an iron. The various grilled cheese recipes looked good, but as usual, I drifted over to see the pies. Mmmm, the lemon sour cream pie sure looks delectable and not too terribly difficult to make. It put me quite in the mood for a cool slice of pie. Too bad it is only pictures. But this reminds me of something I've been meaning to tell everyone about.

There is a company which makes all-natural frozen pies ready to bake. They were giving away samples at the supermarket, apple and blueberry-apple, and they were quite good. They are made by (careful of this link, it contains sound. I hate web sites that surprise you with sound.) Vermont Mystic Pie Company. I went with the blueberry-apple pie of course, as I just love berry pies. I've made several of these blueberry pies, and they are really good. My only complaint is that when I'm on my 2nd or 3rd slice, I notice that there is a bit too much cinnamon, or some spice, that begins to stand out. It would be better with less of that.

For a change, last week I tried the apple pie. I was stunned. I can say in all honesty that it was unequivocally the best apple pie I have ever eaten, bar none. Fortunately, Garrett had a slice or two, so when Alice asked if I'd eaten the entire pie by myself, I was able to honestly say no, Garrett had helped.

While it may lack the pizazz and mess of making a pie from scratch, I'd pit that apple pie against any other. Like any truly great pie, it is a health disaster, with butter dripping from the hot crust, and apple juice drippings that are like apple candy heaven. If you see them in your supermarket, try them. Did I mention that their blueberry pies are quite good, too?

I just noticed on their web site that they make pie shells. I've seen them in the supermarket but ignored them. I bet they'd be a delicious easy way out for monkey's lemon sour cream pie. Maybe I'll make one of those next summer, after a few more apple and blueberry pies.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?