Wednesday, June 21, 2006

 
Dead from Exhaustion

Our ants died. The instructions claim they only need a pinhead sized piece of food every eight days, but I'm wondering if they maybe meant for each ant. Or maybe they want us to buy more ants. They did finally cash the check for $4. What's the life span of an ant, anyway? A good part of theirs was used up waiting for the P.O. and shipping.

The mound being built to the escape hatch was promptly relocated over the farmhouse. I took this picture the next day after they had moved the mound over the barn.
Maybe most of them were crushed in collapsing tunnels as insufficient sand remained in the bottom to support the vast network. They have finally taken a long rest.

Next: Patio ants! Or maybe I'll gather a few carpenter ants before the exterminator gets here.

Comments:
At last an update on the ant colony. More blogs!

I have no idea what the problem was, but I have a friend named Bob, who is known around our town for his extermination business's name as "The BugMan," and he would know. When he expanded his business by bringing in a partner, his new partner, Jim, told me that learning the business from Bob was an interesting experience, "For instance," he commented, "Bob studied the ants in a client's house for one hour to trace their nest." I asked him why it took so long and he told me he asked Bob that question and Bob replied, "Well, that was an interesting colony. I was just looking at 'em." Jim then said, "I don't think I'll EVER get that interested in ants. Bob is really interested in all insects, and then he can really kill them. I am learning a lot from him."

Ants!
 
I am having to evacuate the house tomorrow to rid ourselves of The White Footed Ant.

This is a black ant, smallish, who takes over the bathroom and kitchen first. I am told that then, left untreated, it will start swarming out of your high hats and electrical outlets.

So tomorrow, 9 am, Olivia, Jake, Simon and I get in the car for a total of two hours. That's $125 for the White Footed Treatment, and another $125 for gasoline.

I'll cancel him if you'd like to come harvest...
 
$125 for gas? That's funny!

Here is a joke and also a good idea. Don't just drive around. That's too expensive. Head to nearest Sonic and ask for either a real or a diet "Strawberry Cherry Ocean Water." A teenager I know that works at Sonic raved about it and I tried one. Pretty good. Sit there in the car sweating and stinking up the upholstery, then go. It's cheaper than gas.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?